When choosing a periodontist to place dental implants in the Beverly Hills area, a patient should always first consider the doctor’s qualifications. Not just any dentist is qualified to place dental implants; it’s a specialized procedure that requires extensive experience and knowledge. General dentists are great for assisting a patient in maintaining their overall oral health, but it’s a periodontist’s job to handle dental implant treatments, especially those that involve highly technique sensitive surgical procedures.
Why Choose a Periodontist Over a Dentist for Dental Implants?
Dentists without any post-graduate surgical residency training simply do not have the same experience as a professional periodontist. Specialists in periodontics have the following qualifications:
- They are required to attend post-graduate residency programs to learn the specifics of conducting oral surgery.
- Periodontists spend three years after dental school in a surgical residency, where they are trained in the proper use of anesthesia, bone grafting, dental implant treatment planning and placement, and many other surgical procedures.
- The American Dental Association only recognizes these two types of doctors as surgical specialists, periodontists and oral surgeons.
Surgical specialists provide an overall higher level of care and quality. They know to use only dental implant systems that have been researched and verified. The cost for these procedures may be a bit higher than with a bargain implant, but the patient is sure to receive better quality care.
Many nonsurgical dentists take one- to three-day training courses in dental implants and believe they have the qualifications for this procedure. Not only is this not enough time to learn what is involved in the surgery, but these crash courses also fail to cover what potential complications might arise during or after surgery.
Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Dental Implant Surgeon in Beverly Hills
For a patient requiring dental implants in Beverly Hills, it helps to investigate local surgeons to find the right match. The following are some questions that can be asked to discover whether the professional is qualified to perform a successful implant:
- What is your specialty?
- How much training and experience do you having in placing implants?
- How many bone grafting procedures have you done?
- Can I talk with other patients to learn about their experiences?
- Can I talk to your staff to learn about their experiences?
- Can I see before and after photos?
Doctor Qualifications Lead to Higher Dental Implant Success Rates
Overall, dental implants have a 95 to 97 percent success rate over a 30-year period. This is not because the procedure is simple or easy; it’s because most dental implants are placed by skilled specialists with an in-depth knowledge of the various surgical techniques involved.
Finding the right surgical specialist in Beverly Hills for dental implants can save a patient time, money and unnecessary discomfort in their quest for a new smile.
Get Started with Dental Implants
Our team is ready to assist with all of your dental implant questions. To get started, simply contact our office at (310) 657-0999 to schedule a consultation today.