If you live in Beverly Hills and are missing teeth, or have painful teeth and gums, you are probably researching your options for tooth replacement. You may be wondering if you should choose dentures, or dental implants. What are the differences between these choices? Which is the best option for you?
Dr. Anson, a nationally renowned surgical specialist in implant dentistry and Beverly Hills, provides answers about your options and why you should choose dental implants over other restorative options.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures, which may be chosen as an option for tooth replacement by some patients in Beverly Hills, are removable plastic teeth that are typically retained by dental paste, suction, or physically tightening your cheeks and lips to hold the dentures in place. Dentures are usually cheaper than dental implants and they provide a pleasing aesthetic smile initially. However, dentures are removable, attract bacteria causing odor, are difficult to maneuver when eating certain foods, talking, or smiling, and often cause painful sores on the gums. In most cases, the use of these plastic, false teeth can speed up bone loss in the jaw and cause facial collapse, leading to frequent visits to the dentist to adjust the plastic denture to accommodate the changing bone and gum tissue.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a state-of-the-art solution on the market for replacing missing teeth. Natural teeth have long roots that are secured in bone. Dental implants function as substitute tooth roots, providing a stable foundation for replacement teeth, which are secured to the implants. Dental implants virtually allow people to get their teeth back and, if cared for properly, can last a lifetime. These days, it is very rare that a patient is not a candidate for dental implants, whether they are missing a few teeth or need to restore their entire smile.
Why Should I Choose Dental Implants Over Dentures?
- Dental implants are substitute tooth roots that preserve and protect the jaw bone and gum line, and maintain the structure of your face, whereas dentures often accelerate bone resorption (deterioration).
- Dental implants are securely placed into the bone so your teeth will not slide or move when you eat, smile or talk – and you won’t need to use adhesives.
- Dental implants allow you to enjoy all of the foods you love, including those that are difficult to eat with dentures.
- Dental implants can be restored with beautiful crowns that look like natural teeth.
- Dental implants do not require frequent visits to the dentist for adjustments and relines, which are necessary with dentures as the bone gradually deteriorates.
How Do I Learn More About Dental Implants?
If you live in Beverly Hills or the surrounding areas, are missing teeth or believe you need to have teeth removed and replaced, the best way to learn more about dental implants is to consult with Dr. Anson about your individual situation. During your consultation appointment, Dr. Anson will perform a comprehensive oral examination, discuss all of your tooth replacement options, and provide you with his recommendation for the best way to restore your smile. If you are a candidate for dental implant treatment, Dr. Anson can provide you with a personalized treatment plan for a beautiful new smile that is designed to last a lifetime.
If you’re ready to learn more about dental implants, it’s time to take the next step. Call Dr. Anson to schedule an appointment at his Beverly Hills office today at (310) 657-0999.