Dental implants are made of biocompatible titanium, serving as a bionic “tooth root” which supports a new crown to replace a tooth that has been lost. There are several reasons that patients, who see us in our Beverly Hills office may require dental implants such as:
- Traumatic injury: Teeth can be loosened and even knocked out by a misplaced elbow during a friendly football or basketball game. Any forceful impact to the mouth can shake the teeth from their foundation and require tooth removal.
- Infection: A painful and common result of pre-existing dental conditions such as periodontitis or failing root canal therapy which may make tooth removal necessary.
- Fractured teeth: Biting down on hard food, such as nuts or chewing on ice can cause them to fracture. If a tooth is fractured, the tooth must be removed, as there is no way to repair a fractured tooth root.
- Gum disease: Untreated gum disease, known as periodontitis, is the most common cause of tooth loss. While nearly 50% of adults (18 and over) are estimated to have some form of periodontitis, this statistic jumps to over 70% for adults over 65.
Why Should I Get Dental Implants?
When placed correctly by an expert, dental implants are the closest way to replace your natural teeth. Unlike dentures and removable prosthetics, your dental implants are similar to your natural teeth allowing you to:
- Enjoy food.
- Maintain the same dental hygiene routine of brushing and flossing.
- Restore the appearance of your smile.
- Maintain bone and stabilize your bite.
Our patients find dental implants more comfortable and easier to care for than dentures, which can often rub against the gums, causing pain and bone loss leading to facial collapse and possible additional tooth loss.
Do I Need to Prepare for Dental Implants?
In some cases, patients, seeing us in our Beverly Hills office, may need to undergo bone grafting so that the dental implants will have a stable foundation. However, after providing numerous second opinions, and eventually dental implant placement, Dr. Anson has discovered that this procedure is widely over-recommended.
By employing a careful analysis of the in office 3D imagery, Dr. Anson will accurately determine the precise condition of your bone and objectively evaluate the need for any bone grafting. If the tooth must be lost, Dr. Anson can often place dental implant at the same time he removes the tooth without the need of bone grafting.
To schedule your dental implant consultation, contact our Beverly Hills office at 310.657.0999.